- About Chapters
- Chapter/Regional Directory
- Getting Started/Quick Links
- Chapter Leadership
- Recruitment and Enrollment
- Induction Ceremonies
- Chapter Records
- Chapter Annual Report
- Chapter Life
- Chapter Awards
- Project Grants
- Joint NEHS Project Grants
About Chapter Sponsors
Chapter Sponsors are vital to a healthy chapter. They should be available to the officers and members of the chapter and should offer guidance when necessary, while at the same time allowing the students to develop their own ideas and leadership capabilities.
Over 40 percent of Sigma Tau Delta chapters have more than one Sponsor. One of the advantages of having multiple Sponsors is being able to share Sponsor responsibilities.
Every active chapter must have at least one Chapter Sponsor. For chapters with multiple Sponsors, one Sponsor must be designated as the chapter’s Lead Sponsor (the primary liaison for Society communications and mailings).
Chapter Sponsor(s) shall:
- be a faculty member or administrator at the school housing the chapter
- have at least one degree in English or in a closely related field
- be considered a member of the chapter he/she sponsors (the Society induction fee is waived for Chapter Sponsors)
- be designated as a Chapter Sponsor in Write Away, Sigma Tau Delta’s online chapter management system
How to add or edit Chapter Sponsors in Write Away
Chapter Sponsor duties may be as follows:
- Plan an orientation for all chapter officers.
- Attend meetings of the officers and the chapter.
- Check the grade point averages for prospective members.
- Distribute promptly to the members any information that comes from the Central Office.
- Encourage students to submit original work for possible publication in The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle, The Sigma Tau Delta Review, The Sigma Tau Delta Newsletter, and the WORDY by Nature blog, and verify that it is their original work.
- Encourage students to attend the international convention.
- Encourage students to submit original work for possible presentation at the international convention and verify that it is their original work.
- Encourage students to apply for Sigma Tau Delta scholarships, awards, and internships.
- Store the chapter's records and provide continuity for the chapter from year to year.
- Serve as the administrator for Write Away.
- Designate chapter officers in Write Away.